Monday, January 30, 2012

New Mask!

Good Monday morning world or the small segment of it that reads this. I really tried to have a pointless weekend, but I needed to do something new. To that end I first tried something only slightly new on Friday. I added crystals to the extra wide ring design, mostly to see how it would feel and work. It gave me something to do and talk about online for a spell and I think that's what I really needed, you know, some point to babbling online. It did turn out comfortable by the way. The crystals sit on the outside of the lace so it's really no different to wear than the other version on the wide ring.

After doing our normal Saturday errands and an extra walk around the creek I had a bit of an epiphany regarding the potential mask on a stick. Since it will be on a stick and doesn't have to sit perfectly on a face, I have more leeway with design. So I started with a completely new eye shape and then started working on a new design. I know I've said that I generally make up designs as I tat, but usually I at least have an idea of where I'm going with it before I start up. This was completely off the cuff the entire time. With the new eye shape I had no idea where to begin or what I wanted. I just started, made it up as I went, unmade it a few times around the first eye and then attempted to recreate the same thing on the second side. The center was another drama as I still needed to get a bridge wire in there, but I didn't plan for one in advance. So, I guess what I'm saying is I'm truly shocked that this seemed to have worked out.

Next up was the truly frightening task of stiffening the mask so I can put the sucker on an stick. Those details still have yet to be fully worked out either, but I did know that I wanted the mask stiff first so that what I started on last night. I used the 'Amazing fa-brick' and painted it on straight while the mask was shaped on a cheap plastic mask base. This stuff dries to the touch pretty fast except that I did both sides so by bedtime it was still sticky. I still wasn't certain that I wasn't really just destroying the mask, but nothing ventured nothing gained. It seems okay this morning upon a cursory examination, but later I'll really get to play with and see if it was a success and what else needs to be done to finish the piece. Once that's done I may make this design up again as a wearable mask because I'm kind of in love with the shape. Don't worry, you'll get all the details on the success or failure of the stiffening as soon as I've formed an opinion.

So the mask is the plan for today though I also ran across my tatted hat yesterday. It was the first project I shared on this blog and it never sold, so I'm thinking about getting new pictures and listing it again or if the stiffening works, maybe turning it into a sculpted bowl, maybe paint it or something crazy and artistic...who knows. The hat is shown here and I'd love your opinion on the subject if you have the time. Alright, off to it then.

5 comments:

Del Rodrigues said...

Hello, I'm a teacher, knew your blog through a friend, I would like to make a request to help me going on the link below and leaving a comment.Estou competing with my text: "Turning a Dream into Reality" contest in Note 10 Education the Globe.
The selection will take place now on 30/01/2012.
Please visit the link and leave a comment there.
Will you give me a hand?
I count on your help!
Any problems, also posted the link in my blog post, just go there and click (http://ler-com-prazer.blogspot.com).
Thank you! Peace and Light!
This is the link:
http://www.educacao10.syncmobile.com.br/?p=576

Del Rodrigues said...

Olá ,sou professora,conheci seu blog através de uma amiga, gostaria de fazer um pedido para que me ajude indo no link abaixo e deixando um comment.Estou concorrendo com o meu texto:"Transformando um Sonho em Realidade" no concurso Educação Nota 10 do Globo.
A seleção acontecerá agora no dia 30/01/2012.
Por favor, visite o link e deixe um comentário por lá.
Será que vc pode me dar uma ajuda?
Conto com a sua ajuda!
Qualquer problema, postei também o link no post do meu blog, é só ir lá e clicar (http://ler-com-prazer.blogspot.com).
Obrigada! Paz e Luz!
Esse é o link:
http://www.educacao10.syncmobile.com.br/?p=576

louine said...

This mask is my favorite....hope the stiffer works.....just love the scroll touches.

Gina said...

I like the new design. It's truly unique!

Unknown said...

Complimenti è bellissimo