Wednesday, July 28, 2010

What I Learned

While I have no new tatting to share with you, I do have a confession and what I learned yesterday. First my confession...I don't read blogs. Well, that's not entirely true, I read a few blogs, inconsistently. I just don't have the time nor the inclination to scour through hundreds of blogs out of some sense of obligation or desire to network. So I read a few that I have come to enjoy and I move on. I pop by new ones when I get linked somewhere or am curious for whatever reason, but I rarely go back for a second taste either. So if you read or comment here solely for a reciprocal reaction, stop holding your breath. Why I bring this up is related to the things I learned yesterday.

I'll start with the second thing first. What I do often do is check the profile of a commenter if they are not immediately recognized and that often leads to that random blog read. I glanced through quite a few yesterday much to my delight. There are so many folks giving tatting a first go or coming back to it in part because they've seen my work and that makes me giddy with joy. There are also way more tatting blogs in existence than there were when I first began my journey...way more.

The other thing, the first thing I learned, is that you people are smart and opinionated. You didn't just randomly shout out which design you liked, you supported your opinion with detailed explanations. I assumed I'd get easy to quantify responses but instead I got points to ponder regarding what I wanted to get out of the sticker image. Just to clarify the sticker goes onto the tissue I have wrapped sold pieces in and is not intended to grab new customers, but rather as part of the packaging. That being said after reading a few comments I went out with the new image and bought my first online ad someplace where that eye catching image would make a perfect ad. It should be up soon at HauteMacabre.com. While I agree that consistency helps create a brand, change is often utilized to revitalize an existing brand. Even though I have only existed in this form for four years or so, there is a lot of new competition out there and I need to step it up. So, yes I will be using the new image, at least for a while.

I still have a couple of pieces in queue to be remade and listed so I will likely be working on that today. I did order more lapel pin bases so I might get to work on a second version that is based on the veil I'm working on right now, but I'm also booked for a craft tutoring lesson for my Mother in Law and her friend so we'll see how that goes and if I have any 'me' time at the end of the day.

Oh and the picture is just because I felt naked without one today. It is a super artsy shot of one of my newly adorned walls. It's like someone actually lives here now...of course the real wall is stark white, not this interesting sepia shade, that of course is all camera filter and boredom.

4 comments:

Amy Nicole said...

Ok I can't stand it anymore... Will you please share the iPhone app you are using on these amazing photos? Pretty please? :)

TotusMel said...

It's called Camera+ and it has some fun little filters.

BSOTF said...

TotusMel,
So you don't read other blogs on a steady bases. You know your friends are going to still let you know they stop by to see how you are doing & they aren't going to stop being your friend or there when you need them to be there for you. Due to that's what friends are for. I don't spend alot of time checking out blogs either. But we are only human. It don't make you a bad tatter or person. It just means you are a normal human who tatts wonderful things. So smile about it. You are prettier when you smile!

Jo Campbell said...

I'm not suprised you don't read many blogs, I only keep up to date with a few and I'm not nearly as busy as you. I think it's unreasonable for anyone to expect you to follow their blog just because they follow yours - and I'm sure many of your readers are there just because they are interested in what you are writing. I may never find the time to give tatting a go but I still enjoy reading about (and seeing) your experiments and watching your tutorials.