Monday, April 19, 2010

The Story Of The Weekend

Here I sit at the beginning of a new week wearing a wide assortment of scars from the weekend. What happened you ask? Why don't I start at the beginning. On Friday afternoon we took the large boxes containing the play set we bought for our children and placed them outside. We intended to create this monstrosity over the weekend. As we set out to start labeling pieces, we made a discovery...no instructions. They were not online, there was no one at support until Monday. Thankfully we were able to make the hour long drive...one way...to retrieve a copy from the store we bought the thing at. You can see how this start might not bode well for the weekend.

Early Saturday, we were up, labeling pieces and beginning construction. I was in a tank top...this was also unfortunate. As the day worn on, I applied sunscreen...too late. By the close of the day we were only just over half done despite a revolving crew of family help. I was burnt to a crisp across by chest and back and was sporting new blisters.

We awoke slightly less early on Sunday to begin again. The burn is excruciating, but we must continue as the rain is coming by Tuesday. So I put on a sweater to cover my burns and kept right on working. We paused only during the suns high point in day and finished around 6:30 or so. If you are keeping track at home, this means we worked on the thing for like 20 hours give or take. I am this morning still burnt, blistered and completely muscle sore everywhere. Oh and by the way, not my dog in the picture.

On another note, Sunday was my 4th anniversary signing up for etsy. I had planned on celebrating with pomp and circumstance. Of course I had also planned on having the play set done on Saturday. Neither of those things happened. I made a brief mention of the event on twitter and then was back outside. I apologize to everyone who expected a big sale or something. I just wasn't up to it. I guess next year better be awesome.

After all that gloom, I do have on enviable problem to share this morning. My sales have been quite brisk as of late. After a painfully slow beginning, April is shaping up to be quite the great month. So why is that a problem you ask? With the weekends adventure I have had no time to remake anything that has sold and the back log of unlisted pieces is getting unruly quickly. You know how I hate having too many pieces listed as custom. Well, I hate having so many popular pieces not listed at all even worse. This also means that I have no time for designing which means no new pieces to share with you for the foreseeable future. So this week, burnt or not, it's nose to the grindstone. Lucky for me my nose is one thing that isn't burned and the grindstone here is made of lace.

5 comments:

Sewicked said...

Oh dear. I'm so sorry to hear about the sunburn. I hope that you have lots of aloe on hand. With my skin, I apply spf8 sunscreen in the winter and spf15 for brief summer exposure. Take comfort in my former misery; I once had 2nd degree sunburns the entire length of both legs, luckily only on the back so I could sleep on my stomach.

FetishGhost said...

Congrats! (On the 4 year anniversary... not the sun burn).
I'm sure it didn't all work out like you originally had in mind. Well done!

mermaiden said...

that's a really great playset, though, and the reward is worth the torture!

Candy said...

I am sorry you were sunburned. A visit to the doctor might be in order if you are blistered. They can give you silver sulfur and it will help it heal with less scarring.

Congratulations on your 4th Anniversary. That is a big accomplishment to have come through the lowest part of the financial crisis and still be standing. Kudos, girl!

Feel better and All Blessings,
Candy

. c h o k l i t . said...

I swear I can burn through a window, my skin is so pale... so I do not envy that burn. Hope it's feeling better by now, and huzzah for the good sales and 4th anniversary!