Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Beautiful Beetle Wing Cases

Look what came in the mail! That's right, I have my elytra and I am off and running with them. The ones I purchased were not drilled which means there shall always be one more step before I can start working with them, but as I have a cute little dremel, this is not a problem. As soon as the kids set down for a nap I drilled a few and got down to business.

I found the smallest one I could in the bag full and decided that the first piece would be a quicky. I needed some instant gratification after waiting for them to be shipped all the way from Thailand. I made up a cameo pendant and after a bit of fiddling with the head pin to hand the sucker it was done and listed. I then started immediately on a set using the Tenebrous pattern. Though it was too late for pictures last night when they were done. I'm sure I'll tell you all about them tomorrow morning. This is also nowhere near the end of what I have planned for these exotic beauties. They are colorful. lightweight and can be drilled all along their edges if I so choose. The possibilities are endless really. Though it is my way to get carried away with a new idea regardless of whether anybody else likes it at all, so if you'd like to offer up opinions of dissent, please do tell. I really ought not make a dozen elytra pieces if I really am alone in my affection.

Well, isn't this something, I finally have something new to share and the blog post is still the short. I guess that I can at least say it is sweet this time, instead of a place holder for the day. I will have at least the tenebrous set to show you tomorrow, so I can promise more new for then as well. Now off to enjoy drilling holes in beetle wing cases for a spell.

5 comments:

Jessy said...

It looks fantabulous! I love the look and shine of the elytra and the way it contrasts the lace. One of these with lace all the way round would be awesome!

elsie said...

those wings are SPECTACULAR!!

mermaiden said...

i love bug stuff. they would be amazing in a collar, with lots of them. like claws. or fangs. from thai vampires, yes that's it!

Gina said...

Oooh...made me buy some of those to play with!

NatureMama said...

That is COOL looking! I never would've thought beetle wings would be hard enough to drill through. And I never would've thought of using them, but they look like jewels!