Friday, May 15, 2009

Little Surprises

I was all set to let yesterday pass unnoticed and unremarkable, but I did manage to fall into a few interesting moments. I started out just tatting again for the Maker Faire, then I got my first nice surprise, an email from another soul who learned to tat with my Instructable. They were asking for a little further direction, but that's not the point. It is so surreal to know that I really have virtually taught people how to needle tat. I have no real idea how many people have tried their hand at it because I'm not likely to hear from most of them, but I can imagine at least dozens right?

My next task was to actually write down the pattern for my Queen's Feet Barefoot sandals. I got a request for the pattern a few days ago and once it was complete I offered it to a few more people on twitter. Of course I ended up leaving off part of the pattern, which I had to correct this morning, but it's done now...I hope. If anyone else is interested in the pattern, feel free to shoot me an email. You can find my address in my blogger profile. I know I could just publish it here, but I figured I'd save that until I could do a proper instructable which might not be for some time.

Then whilst twitter stalking, I was informed that one of my mask was indeed published in the current issue of Du Jour magazine, the Vintage issue. I had been asked for images for inclusion in a future issue, but due to an email snafu I didn't know it was this one until I was asked if I like the spread. I was also led to an image of the page to share with you.
There I am, in the bottom right corner, and here's a close up so you can read the write up on the mask. It's quite flattering to be included in a magazine devoted to emerging designers. I have a hard time setting myself along side clothing and jewelry designers as I consider myself more of a...I don't know, crafter, artisan maybe. Anyway, it's nice.

The last bit of news for the day was an optimistic message from our real estate agent regarding the offer we put in on a short sale. I wish I could say that this alleviates some stress, but it honestly created much more for me. I was able to keep the whole house buying, moving business at arms length as long as it was completely up in the air. The prospect of it becoming a reality has me terrified. The logistics of moving, adjusting the budget to handle the much larger monthly payment and a dozen other little details are now crowding my mind nearly every minute. Needless to say, I did not sleep well last night and I might not for a while.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

You should definitely consider yourself an artisan! Congrats on the Du Jour publication!!!!!
Enjoy it!

Sewicked said...

Congratulations, Pamela. It's a nice little mention and it's even more exposure for tatting.

Artsnark said...

Hearty congrats!

If you haven't, you should submit to Belle Armoire (it's about 1/2 way down page)! It's a cool mag with a big following

TotusMel said...

Thanks! I've actually done three articles for Belle Armoire and Belle Armoire jewelry. They're a lot of work though since they want the pieces to photograph & I have to write up the patterns. Still fun though.

Dianna M. Sparks said...

Totus I also learned to tat this week using your instructions! Thank you so much, I am a knitter and crochet and wanted to extend my fibers and skills!

Erika said...

Congrats!
I also followed your instructable (you can see my results here http://knotsme.blogspot.com/2009/04/attempting-to-needle-tatting_18.html ), and i forgot to thank you, so, thanks for the explanations, tatting was for me a little magic until your instructable :)

Summer said...

I'm not sure if I've commented, e-mailed, whatever before (it feels like I have, but I'm not sure), so I thought I'd leave a comment. You virtually taught me to tat! I was getting so angry with shuttles that didn't want to cave to my will when I came across your stuff. You are a genius:) Thank you!

victoria kloch said...

wOw! I didn't think that anyone tatted anymore. And you have a modern unique twist to your amazing pieces. I tatted back in the late 70's a found it to be very relaxing as well as addicting. The most involved project that I ever completed was a covered pincushion. I'm so happy to see that tatting isn't a lost art after all!

Anonymous said...

My grandmother used to do needle tatting, and I didn't even know what it was called until I saw your Etsy shop for the first time. Since then I've had a burning desire to learn it, but with having my second and third kids one right after the other, and struggling to find the time for my jewelry making, I haven't gotten to it yet. I found your instructable for the tatted flower, and I've got it bookmarked:) I just opened my own shop on Etsy (salemplus2), but I promise you I am GOING TO LEARN TATTING. Thank you for opening another creative door for me. Btw...if I ever have anything in my shop that you would like to trade for that amazing orange scarf, let me know! XD