Monday, February 23, 2009

More For Your Feet

It was a fairly downbeat weekend so I managed to work out another pattern for my impending line of anklet footwear. This one started with a 40's era pattern for a centerpiece edging. Then I added matching motifs across the top and used my In Bloom motif in the center. The last time I went ahead and made the prototype in black thread because it's based on an existing piece and I knew that it would work out. This time I made it in ecru thread since I had no idea if it would work. After a few final tweaks, adding some floating and split rings around the bottom edge of the design. I have started on one in black, but it is not ready for a closeup just yet.

I always seem to forget that there are differences in the ecru and black threads I use. My vintage size 10 ecru thread is a bit thicker than the same sized modern black. This means that the final piece in black will be noticeably smaller. I think that I will have to add an edging on the sides of the final black one to make the size work as well as give me a better edge to lace the piece. I'm having an internal debate about the price of these corseted anklets too. I am personally very cheap when it comes to shoes and to price these for the time would be more than I think I would pay for a pair of shoes. Of course they should make quite a statement and it's always hard to remember that I am not my customers.

I should have a pair of the new design done in a few days and then I'm just waiting for my ridiculous stiletto shoes to arrive so I can get proper pictures. Hopefully I will have also worked out a proper name for them as well. Suggested terms have been 'spatlet', which brings to mind a tiny spat, and 'spanklet', that frankly sounds a little dirtier than I'd like. I'd prefer something a little more corset related, I think. Ideas from you are of course very welcome. Then I still want to work out a design for a barefoot sandal design as well. Things have been fairly slow etsy wise, so I've had some much needed time to create new things as well as get most of the pieces I had listed as custom orders made up so they're ready to ship.

In other news, this Sunday, I got a google alert to an interesting feature of my Order of Ecclesia Victorian Lace Collar. It was based on a video game character and suggested for creation my husband. Apparently, the gamers have finally stumbled upon it. My husband was so proud that it was his idea, he kept reminding me that I should be thanking him for the idea. The feature was picked up by two other gamer sites, nothing huge, but still pretty cool to have some unsolicited attention.

9 comments:

Gina said...

Pam, if you change your design slightly, further down on the ankle with a piece that anchors to the toe, and with beads, you could also have something that appeals to belly dancers.

Anonymous said...

This is looking lovely! I can't come up with anything better than "ankle corset spat" for a name, which is clearly, weak.

I look forward to seeing the finished product.

Unknown said...

It's lovely! I think I know the centerpiece pattern your are speaking of that you tweaked it from.

TotusMel said...

Gina, that's actually what I was thinking with the barefoot sandal idea! That one will theoretically come down on the foot with a toe loop...of course I'm not a bead fan so we'll see on that point.

Sewicked said...

Ankle cuff? Lace anklet? Ankle corset? Ankle collar? Ooooh, matching wrist & ankle cuffs? I'm sorry, I'm making a lot of bookmarks right now & while fun, they do not sate my wildest creative urges (beads only on tassels for example).

Needledreams said...

It's so pretty even in ecru. May be adding some antique colored pearls to some of the picots will add a more "wow". Gina has a great idea. If you use a "henna" color thread would look great for belly dancing.

Wenchie said...

That pattern is very cool and congrats on getting the Order of Ecclesia Victorian Lace Collar out there you may want to add "cosplay" in the tags to get even more hits on it =D

FetishGhost said...

Love the pattern, I'm looking forward to seeing it applied.

that_rat said...

Glad my silly games have helped broaden your horizons! Shanoa FTW! Next you can work on her armlet thingies...?